Permanent Mould, Metal
Mold Casting Process and Aluminum Castings
Permanent mould, also called as metal mold
casting process, is a good casting production method for aluminum
It has many good advantages such as low production cost, low
requirements to equipments, high dimensional tolerance and good
However, it has some disadvantages, such as low production rate, not
suitable for producing iron and steel castings.
Let us introduce the casting process for permanent
1. Firstly, we need to make the metal patterns (iron
patterns), you could also call it as iron mold.
Then, we seat the pre-coated resin sand cores (yellow one on the
following photos) into the metal patterns.
2. Secondly, we combine the top and bottom molds together. Then,
they will be ready for injecting liquid aluminum.
3. Thirdly, we melt the aluminum into hot liquid aluminum water,
then pour them into the combined metal patterns.
4. Fourthly, wait for minutes until the liquid aluminum become cool
and solid in the metal patterns.
5. Fifthly, depart the metal moulds, then you will see the aluminum
6. Sixthly, after shot blasting, the inside sand cores
will be removed and cleaned.
The casting surfaces will become mat surfaces too. The following
photo is showing the castings before and after shot blasting.
This casting process has lower casting
production costs than sand castings and die castings. So, it will be
suitable for producing aluminum castings of small quantity. In our
Dandong city, there are some small aluminum casting foundries who
are using this casting process.